I saw this Chocolate Malteser Cake recipe on Pinterest and pinned it instantly. I changed the recipe a bit because it was all chocolate including the cake. This one I changed to a delicious vanilla cake with a chocolate fudge icing and Maltesers on top.
The recipe for the vanilla cake came from a wonderful cook book I found called The Commonsense Cookery Book first published in 1914. It is my go to book when I want a basic recipe that is easy to make. It is an invaluable cook book in my library.
125gm milk free margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups self raising flour sifted
1/2 cup rice milk
1. Grease and lightly flour 20cm round baking tin.
2. Cream butter sugar and vanilla.
3. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
4. Add sifted flour alternately with milk.
5. Spread in prepared tin and bake at 180C/350F for 45 minutes. Keep an eye on it as it may burn before cooked. If so just cover with foil and place on lower shelf in oven until done.
Malteser Chocolate Fudge IcingIngredients
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup milk free margarine
4 tablespoons water
2 heaped tablespoons cocoa
2 jumbo bags of Maltesers
Sift icing sugar and cocoa together then mix to combine.
Add water and margarine and stir until smooth.
Spread on cake thickly.
Arrange Maltesers in a cross first then fill in each section.