The original recipe for this eggplant moussaka came from the Lactose Free Jamie Oliver Moussaka Recipe I made previously. That moussaka recipe was a chore to make and made me swear off making this dish forever.
Since I noticed eggplant (or aubergines as they are known in Europe) were very inexpensive I decided to give it another go. This time I made the moussaka recipe with chicken instead of lamb or beef.
It was much easier this time but moussaka is not a quick and easy recipe. It is a little time consuming but rewarding and better yet there is always leftovers so no cooking the next night!
Dairy Free Chicken Moussaka RecipeIngredients
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 can of chopped tomatoes
300gm chicken mince
½ cup chicken stock
1 tsp dried oregano
1 large eggplant, sliced
salt and ground black pepper
Olive Oil Spray
1. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and fry the mince until lightly browned. Pour off any excess fat and place mince in a bowl to the side.
2. In the same pan gently cook the garlic and onion in 1 tbsp olive oil until the onion has softened then add mince to the pan.
3. Add chicken stock, chopped tomatoes and oregano. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring continuously and topping up with water or leftover chicken stock if you find the mixture is getting dry.
4. Lightly spray each slice of eggplant then fry until golden on both sides and season well with salt and black pepper. Place the eggplant on paper towels to drain.
5. Preheat oven to 180C. Place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of an ovenproof dish (20cm x 20cm) followed by the mince mixture then top with a layer of eggplant.
6. Bake the chicken moussaka for about 25-30 then serve.