This is a delightfully soft and fluffy paleo vanilla cake that is dairy free, wheat free and gluten free. Whipping the egg whites will give you that every time.
The chocolate frosting for the vanilla cake is made with milk free chocolate which you can easily get from the health food section of your local supermarket and coconut oil.
Bird's eye view. Yum!
I really love folding the egg whites through the meals and seeing how glossy all the ingredients get and how light they are. It makes my heart sing. I find it exciting. Maybe it's just me.
If I make this again which I will, then the recipe will get altered. I think fewer eggs, and less coconut oil and honey will be used. And there is too much coconut oil in the chocolate frosting. That much really wasn't needed.
The pecans have a lot of oil so I will either use the almond meal or hazelnut meal as I first had intended but then saw I had a small bag of pecans in my pantry so I just used that. Anyway that's just me thinking aloud.
I made this cake for Easter so added some chocolate eggs and a bunny in the centre. These are not milk free. If you want this cake totally dairy free then get some dairy free chocolate eggs and break them up and decorate your cake that way.
I got some ribbon and wrapped it around the cake and fastened it with a sewing pin.
Paleo Vanilla Cake Recipe with Chocolate IcingCake Ingredients
½ cup almond meal
½ cup pecan meal
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 eggs room temperature
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Icing Ingredients1 cup (150gm) dairy free chocolate or dark chocolate
¼ cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 165C
2. Prepare a 25 cm round spring form tin cake pan lined with baking paper.
3. Separate the egg yolks and whites.
4. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
5. Combine the honey, baking soda, coconut oil and vanilla.
6. Add egg yolks one at a time.
7. Mix in almond and hazelnut meals.
8. GENTLY fold the whipped egg whites in thirds slowly into the yolk mixture.
9. Bake for about 25-30 minutes on centre shelf (really important) in oven until centre is cooked and toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
1. In a microwave safe bowl melt chocolate for 1 minute then stir until melted.
2. Add coconut oil and mix until combined.
2. Place frosting in freezer for 15 minutes to chill and thicken.
3. Remove from freezer and whip until it is thick and fluffy.
4. Frost over cake and decorate.
Chocolate Icing adapted from Elana's Pantry.